Elephant and charging questions:

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
andy
Site Admin

Elephant and charging questions:

Postby andy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Question:
An Elephant decalres a charge at fleeing skirmishers, who must continue fleeing, elephant continues straight ahead into flank of enemy pike unit as a revealed unit.
The rules state this is NOT a declared charge (into the Pike block). Therefore my assumption and the way we played it was: the Pike unit does not take a terror test for being charged by an elephant, neither does it take a cohesion test for being charged in the flank - as it is not a charge.

Question:
The base strength of an elephant is 4, if you add an extra Crewman does this raise it to 5? (I assume not)

Question:
If an elephants Mahout is killed in combat, it says take a stampede test immediately - I assume this is before the elephant strikes back?

Question:
I assume if a mahout is killed in combat and the elephant has taken 2 or more casualties it is depleted and therefore suffers the -2 on the elephants cohesion test, do crew casualties count towards depleted? (I assume not)

Question:
If an elephant takes a crew casualty from shooting, this would represent 25% of its base strength therefore does it take a cohesion test as other formed units would - or are any wounds to crew from shooting simply ignored and only elephant wounds trigger a Stampede test...

Cheers
andy

Bob Stradling

Re: Elephant and charging questions:

Postby Bob Stradling » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 am

Let me see now how many of these can I get wrong as I make response...

Q1 Whilst it is not a declared charge it is still treated as a charge so I would say that there is a terror test for being charged by the elephant. I would also say that it is a charge in the flank, after all you would still benefit from the flank attack in the combat resolution.

Q2 - I think you assume correctly - extra crew do not affect the ellie's base strength just provide more resilience

Q3 - As most ellies are superior fighters they will at least go at the same time as the enemy unless the ellie has been charged. In which case I would think the ellie still gets to strike back, as I would read immediately as at the end of the combat phase rather than in the middle of it as that is when all other tests such as death of general take place.

Q4 Interesting one on the depleted question - same for discouraged. I play that if the ellie takes a casualty from shooting it becomes discouraged and gives up a momentum token - under the 10% rule. As it is not taking a break test it shouldn't give up a second as it is staking a stampede test. An interesting second question is if the crew takes a casualty do they become discouraged - which would then affect the mahouts leadership and impact the stampede test. I would apply the depleted rule using the same logic if the ellie has taken two casualties.

Q5 I think the crew are immune to psychology tests etc (they don't have to take a terror test if fighting another elephant - in the same way I presume that they would not have to pass a fearsome test if fighting a unit that was fearsome). So it is only wounds to the ellie that causes a stampede unless all of the crew are slain.

Q6 to add to my supplementary Q's in Q4 - if the crew are armed with javelins and have not thrown them in the preceding shooting round do they get the new combat benefit in the first round of combat where they act as throwing spear - giving the crew an extra attack in the first round of combat. I would presume that they do.

Ok let's see how many I got right!

andy
Site Admin

Postby andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:38 pm

CHeers Bob - I guess we await Martins authorative comments on these questions and your responses

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:46 am

Well, it is as follows:
Q1, 2 & 3 Bob correct (hurrah!)
Q4 & 5 Elephants do not become discouraged or depleted, neither do they become unformed, as a result of casualties. An elephant only takes a Cohesion test as a result of a wound sustained, and gives up a Momentum Token if it stampedes as a result. The crew are treated as part of the elephant and so cannot be discouraged either.
Q6 the javelin bonus applies only to infantry and cavalry (and so chariots p 38)

Cheers

Martin
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

BJ Barry

Postby BJ Barry » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 am

This mine is more on the way an Elephant could charge an enemy, because in my last game I saw somenthing really "DBMish" and i don't know if it's in the spirit of the rules. So the question is: could an elephant "manouvre" in its charge so that it can only impact the corner of en enemy unit and then conforming to it fight at its full potential against only one base? 3cm of the half base of the elephant against the 4cm of the infantry base. I think the rules allow to do something like that, but seems strange when you get a unit of 8 bases that can answer the attack with only 2 dice.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm

I would be most unhappy if my opponent tried to do that. Its one thing to just reach the target with part of the base hanging over, but another to manoeuvre away from the bulk of the unit to achieve that partial contact. And probably not historical. Its one of those things that is not specifically legislated against because ...we expect common sense (how naive!) I will look at the wording for version 2 of the rules.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”