Ghaznavid Points query

Bob Stradling

Ghaznavid Points query

Postby Bob Stradling » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Going to take Ghaznavids to Swindon (yes Bob with an army with at least 1/3 of cavalry!)

Entry for archers - says that you can have a quarter to half the figures in the unit as spearmen and this is -2 points per base.

If I don't elect to arm some with spears presumably they only get one attack per base, but if I do arm a quarter of them with spears, I get two attacks per base as they now have a named hand weapon and they can still fire at full effect as the second rank has bows and these bases are 2 points cheaper. Just checking that this is not too good to be true.

I also presume I can have allies from both the Arab caliphate and Indian lists at the same time well that's the way I read it.

dave.p

Re: Ghaznavid Points query

Postby dave.p » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi Bob.
I believe it to be quite good. I did much the same with classical Indians at the Pillage a couple of years ago. Assuming we played it correctly :- For a six base unit containing 6 spearmen and 18 bowmen you fire 6 shots per turn - you don't get the rear rank bonus shots because not all of the front rank have bows. You will benefit from the front rank shields while the rest of the unit is shooting and you benefit by having a few spearmen to fight in combat.
Hoping we did it correctly.
Dave.P

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I had forgotten about the first rank affecting the bonus shooting dice. Given the advantages of an improved save against shooting and hth and the extra combat dice I am happy with the trade off.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Slight issue here. The reduced cost of 16 points per base applies to a complete base of spearmen, so where you have 50% spear bases and 50% bow bases. If you have 25% spear then the front bases are mixed and the higher cost of 18 points applies to these (see final paragraph, page 4 of Dark Age Armies). I think this odd situation arises because unusually, the archers retain their shield.

Yes you can use Arab and Indian allies together, as Mahmud usually did.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Return to “Dark Age Armies”