Shieldwall and movement

A forum for discussing items specifically related to the rules
mhsellwood

Shieldwall and movement

Postby mhsellwood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to discuss how Shieldwall works. The Shieldwall rule states that the unit may not move more than half their normal move. My understanding of this is that if an infantry unit moves 4" or less (i.e. less than half their normal move) they retain the Shieldwall formation. I interpret this as a cap on the distance you may move rather than a halving of your current move distance.

To illustrate what I mean: I have two infantry units, one is open order and the other close order. If they are both in Shieldwall then they may both move a maximum of 4" and retain Shieldwall. However when I am within 8" of a unit, both units may move 4" and retain Shieldwall. The Open Order unit can normally move 8" but they are restricted by Shieldwall to 4", and the Close Order unit is only allowed to move 4" within 8" of an enemy unit which also fulfils the Shieldwall requirement of not moving more than half their normal move.

Clearly my interpretation makes Shieldwall less restrictive but I feel that is not unreasonable and would be interested in others reading of the rule or the intention of the rule.

vladarethull

Re: Shieldwall and movement

Postby vladarethull » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:09 am

Hi,

Well actually think that you can move more than 4" but if you choose to do so you automatically lose it. Therefore due to the fact that the shieldwall movement reduction is more a condition to keep it rather than a restriction to move, you don't get march blocked at a speed of 4" but at 8'' as usual.
At least this is how I see it. :)

Vlad
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
(Beware of Greeks bearing gifts)

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:23 am

Yes both unit types can move 4" max and retain shieldwall regardless of enemy proximity.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm

I have a related question to this which came up in a game recently. If an open order unit currently in shieldwall is say 6-7 inches away from a skirmisher unit and opts to charge it, does it remain in shieldwall if the skirmishers evade and it experiences a failed charge? The reason I ask is that in a failed charge, it does not move more than 4 inches.

Leondegrande

Postby Leondegrande » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:51 pm

Per rules (p42): The benefit is lost when the unit
- moves over half movement
- charge
- is pushed back
- count not longer as formed unit
- fights to flank or rear
Come to where the Old World is.

Return to “Swordpoint Rules”