Shieldwall AND two-handed axe ??

olivier

Shieldwall AND two-handed axe ??

Postby olivier » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am

Hi,
Is it possible to combine the SHIELDWALL special rule (therefore implying you carry a shield) altogether with a TWO-HANDED axe (offering a +2 Defence modifieron your attacks) ? :shock:
Physically, I would argue NOT, as warriors only have two hands, and not three! ;)
But maybe it is legit from a pure gaming perspective?

In the Vikings list (page 23) the Hirdmen have "light armour, spear and shield. Shieldwall."
Next line, they "may change to two-handed axe".
Logically, I would assume that they change the whole lot [spear and shield] for [two-handed axe], and therefore they lose the shield and the Shieldwall defense modifier if they use the two-handed axe.

My opponent told me yesterday night that it could actually be legit, and he claimed this was discuss somewhere in the Forum, but I cannot see where.

Can someone please give some light? :idea:
Thank you!

Bob Stradling

Re: Shieldwall AND two-handed axe ??

Postby Bob Stradling » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Olivier - the answer is yes you can benefit from the shieldwall rule whilst using double handed weapons.

If you want to justify it is some of the chaps use their shields and some use their choppers. However, you do not get the benefit of the shield in your defence value. So if you have light armour and shield you only have a defence value of 6 rather than 5. It is a small crumb of comfort for your opponents.

olivier

Postby olivier » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Fair enough, that makes full sense.
Thanks a lot for your time, Bob! :)

lero

Postby lero » Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 pm

A friend that re-enacted viking combats and especially shieldwall explained to me that the front rank of warriors hold their shields and thanks to the length of danish two handed axes, a second close rank could hit the enemy ! I think you can put shield wearers at the front of the base and two-handed warriors just behind an you are fully accurate !

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Wed May 20, 2020 7:04 am

lero wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 pm A friend that re-enacted viking combats and especially shieldwall explained to me that the front rank of warriors hold their shields and thanks to the length of danish two handed axes, a second close rank could hit the enemy ! I think you can put shield wearers at the front of the base and two-handed warriors just behind an you are fully accurate !
And let us not forget that the Daneaxe was used to thrust and punch as well as to cut.

Think Medieval poelaxe and you're halfway there.

Return to “Dark Age Armies”