Burgundian Ordnance Archers & Pike Question

Atheling

Burgundian Ordnance Archers & Pike Question

Postby Atheling » Wed May 20, 2020 2:42 pm

It stated under the Ordnance Archers options that:

"Up to a third of the models in the unit may replace hand and a half sword and longbow with a pike (-4), forming the front row of bases. As long as the fist row is entirely of Pikemen, any mounted models" etc

I take it that one has to have a front row of pike armed bases and not a front row of pike with a line of longbows on the same bases?
So, in a nice base unit with four bases of pike, three wide, would it be possible for the longbow men to shoot as referred to in the Combined Formation rules?
Just Add Water Painting and Wargaming Blog:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/

MartinG

Re: Burgundian Ordnance Archers & Pike Question

Postby MartinG » Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

It says "forming the front row of bases". Yes, this would be a combined formation.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm

It says "forming the front row of bases". Yes, this would be a combined formation.
Thanks again Martin

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:49 am

I did ask something similar a while ago (see former Burgundian Ordnance post).
As it is a combined formation with a front ROW of pikes, a unit of six bases might be composed of 6 pikemen (front row) and 18 longbowmen. The first three bases would be combined and therefore the unit is able to shoot with all 6 bases. At least that's how I play mine...

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:07 am

Yes that is correct, though the archers won't get the bonus shooting dice as all the shooting is indirect (overhead)
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:50 am

As it is a combined formation with a front ROW of pikes, a unit of six bases might be composed of 6 pikemen (front row) and 18 longbowmen. The first three bases would be combined and therefore the unit is able to shoot with all 6 bases. At least that's how I play mine...
Got it! It makes sense now. :)

I was reading it as Front Row of pike bases as if they were not mixed pike and longbow.

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:37 pm

Can I ask, what use did you make of them in a game? As a static point from which to loose missiles or a maneuverable unit able to do the same?

Or was it entirely dependent on circumstances?

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm

I didn't really have the chance to use my Burgundians for Swordpoint up until now (hope this will change after Covid)...

But my plan is to use them as either dependent on circumstances. As my other armies are HRE and Swiss, I suppose the static option will be more viable. I was inspired by Charles' actions against the Swiss, which supports this interpretation.
For manoeuvre there are Knight & Coustilliers (mounted or on foot) and Flemish Pikemen.

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:51 pm

I didn't really have the chance to use my Burgundians for Swordpoint up until now (hope this will change after Covid)...

I feel your pain- I'm stuck in the house until the coronavirus is treatable in one form or another :?
For manoeuvre there are Knight & Coustilliers (mounted or on foot) and Flemish Pikemen.

I was going to go for Gendarmes backed by Coutilliers and Flemish Pike too. Maybe two units of Ordonance Archers with the pike option as a central battle line. I haven't worked out the points yet as because of the wording in the lists I wasn't sure if the pike were meant to be whole bases which would make the unit extraordinarily expensive if I were to have another two ranks of archers. I'm pleased to say that now i know this is not the case it makes that option much more viable.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Two units of archers (+pike) is a solid base line. Got this, too, along with two units of Knights/Coustilliers, some handgunners and x-bows plus artillery of course.

Return to “Medieval Armies”