pike block

REX

pike block

Postby REX » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:54 pm

reading my Medieval army book. I notice on page 7" a massed pike formation remains such so long as it contains a minimum of 6 bases and as least as many bases deep as wide" does this mean a default pike block would be 3x3 and bs of 36 ? any thoughts?

MartinG

Re: pike block

Postby MartinG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:05 pm

That sounds right. A minimum of six bases 2 wide and 3 deep.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 pm

As a unit needs to be 3 bases wide to count as close order for combat bonuses, a 9 base unit wold seem to be the practical size in a 3 by 3 formation. Loose one base and you loose the mass pike rule? Or change the formation and loose the close order rule. So perhaps 10 bases per unit 3 bases wide so that you can at least take one casualty before being penalised.

My guess is we won’t be seeming many masses pike units used
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

REX

Postby REX » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

oops!!!!!!!!

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 am

Sorry, Andy, but that's not quite correct. There are two points to consider:

1. According to the rulebook, the rear rank also counts as complete with 2 bases, so you could loose one base in a 3x3 formation and still claim the close order bonus.
2. When charging over 4" with a Massed Pike block, you do not get the close order bonus (in 1st round) anyway, so at least for aggressive Swiss and Landsknechts this not such a problematic issue.

Despite this, I also think the Massed Pike rule should see some further playtesting and revision.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm

A practicability questiom arose during our game this weekend:

I use 9 bases pike blocks, whose front ranks have levelled pikes (for an authentic attack look). Because of these it is impossible to make proper base contact during charges. How could this be solved?

1. option: I proxied some bases under the length of the pikes and treated them as the front rank. But this meant, that the 9 base pike block had a footprint of 12 bases. Imho this would deter the correct movement of the unit for game purposes

2. option (which I prefer): using the bases under the pikes as stand-ins for 3 more bases (probably with some casualities) and play them as 12 base pike blocks. But what about the 9 base unit? Having just two ranks of bases doesn't look like a block, but there will be smaller games where you want to 9 base units.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:11 pm

When you use levelled pikes this problem always occurs, which is why a lot of people use the compromise of 45 degree sloped pikes-but I agree the levelled ones look best. You can put bases under the pikes, or just halt them when the points touch the opponent; the extra depth only really matters when someone is trying to flank you and in a friendly game, this is easily resolved. If you are into competitions and/or it may get serious where you play, I think the only solution is to get some upright pikes.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Thank you for the advice. That is exactly what I was thinking about the issue and how we handled it. For competitions I will just use casualitiy front bases as stand-in regular bases.

Xarepunk

Postby Xarepunk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Just for clarification:
with the new errata that close-order units have to be 3 bases wide to count as formed, the 2x3 bases pike block is no longer an option, so only 3x3 is the new minimum, right?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:22 pm

The Massed Pike rule is an exception to the errata and 2x3 remains acceptable.

Return to “Medieval Armies”