Mounted Infantry

Davidh

Mounted Infantry

Postby Davidh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:56 pm

I have a couple of questions about mounted infantry which I wonder if the forum could answer. I have seen an army list which has bow armed infantry which can also be riding horses (e.g. Vikings).

1. Whilst mounted, can they shoot?

2. In terms of unit frontage, should their base width's be 'adjusted / allowed for' to be 50mm a base instead of 40mm when they are mounted?

Leondegrande

Re: Mounted Infantry

Postby Leondegrande » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:46 pm

The special rule "mounted infantry" simply means you can move this unit up to 6" (camels) or 8" (horses) after the deployment ended.
This way they have normal infantry bases and rules for shooting as infantry.

The term: May be Riding Horses, is the same as Monted Infantry, this rule/benefit is only available in the deployment phase.
Come to where the Old World is.

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:26 am

I think David is referring to the revised rule in version 2, which allows the troops to start the game as cavalry but inferior fighters. To use them as such you must place normal cavalry models on the table and they operate as normal (though poor) cavalry until they dismount, when you replace the figures with infantry figures, swapping base for base. It follows therefore that they can shoot while mounted if armed with bows (poorly compared with their foot performance of course) but I wouldn't expect anything else from them apart from rapid movement.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Leondegrande

Postby Leondegrande » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Ah, I see, reading the full updated version of the special rule :)
Come to where the Old World is.

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Martin kindly clarified some questions that I had. So the base strength whilst cavalry is 2 whether the infantry are open or close order, so are more vulnerable to shooting. They get +1 to their save so if when dismounted they have a defence of 5 whilst mounted they get a defence of 4. If equipped with spears they get the defence modifier when charging.

I found them really useful in a recent pre-lock down game when they managed to get a flank charge in against a formed unit. They won the combat despite only hitting on a five and caused the unit to flee effectively winning the game for me.

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:58 pm

Thank you all for your comments, they were most helpful. Martin, I just have one further question.

On p41 of the rules, it only specifically mentions the troops being inferior fighters (2nd paragraph) when mounted. However, whilst they should be able to shoot from a horse, I suspect that it was not what they were trained to do and the incentive in most situations would be to dismount to shoot. Should bow armed troops be considered as inferior shooters as well, if they shoot when mounted?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:55 am

Probably, but that's not wot I wrote, sadly. Feel free to adopt this as a house rule, though, and I will bear it in mind for the future.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Atheling

Postby Atheling » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Probably, but that's not wot I wrote, sadly. Feel free to adopt this as a house rule, though, and I will bear it in mind for the future.
Then there's the old loosing a longbow from a horse conundrum. It's possible but nowhere near as effective as loosing from standing en masse.

Return to “Swordpoint 2nd Edition Rules”