Rules query : contact between bases

A general discussion forum
Roland 92

Rules query : contact between bases

Postby Roland 92 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 am

Hi,

I have somes questions

1/ I saw the unit center have to be in range in order to declare a charge, but could you moove your unit in order to limit your opponent bases in contact? The question is very important when you have an elephant by example

* do you must be in contact with a maximum of bases ?
* or do you have to be in contact with the ennemy center unit
* or the only condition is you own center unit is in contact with ennely unit
IMAGE1.PNG
2 / The same question with two infantry units : one of three front bases ant the other with 4 front bases. If the THREE bases unit charge, can it moove in oder to limit the combat or the payer or have to maximise the number of bases in contact
IMAGE3.PNG
3/ If you are just in range to contact a corner, do you contact only the corner?
IMAGE2.PNG
4/ A unit can it moove in onrder to maximise the bases in the contact? When (during the 1st turn, after win?)

Many thanks

Roland 92
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob Stradling

Re: Rules query : contact between bases

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Roland,

Page 14 (2nd edition) is quite clear that the charger has to maximise the number of bases in contact with his unit. The charger does not have to maximise the number of defenders bases that are in contact.

It also says that you should normally charge straight ahead unless you need to maneuver to contact the target unit (and then there is alignment and drawing units into combat to be considered!). So for your first example I would say that all 3 are possibly permissible , but to some extent would depend on where your elephant was when it charged. If you had to charge straight ahead to make contact it may well be that you have to hit all three bases. If you have the ability to maneuver then you could potentially do either of the other diagrams and remain legal. In part it may depned in your starting position and who else was charging into the combat. Got to go I have a zoom meeting waiting!

Roland 92

Postby Roland 92 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Thank you Bob for you answer

Is there a solution for the charged unit to add bases in the following turns or units have to fight in their original positions until the end (if an unit moove back I believe the winner moove straight ahead).

BR

Roland

Bob Stradling

Postby Bob Stradling » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi Roland,

I can't think of any situation where either unit can bring more bases into contact once the combat has started unless another unit charges in during a subsequent turn.

Looking at your other two diagrams - in 2 you would not be able to move so that the 3 base unit has its centre on the corner of the 4 base unit as you do not have all your bases in contact when you can do so. The only time that this would be permitted was if you were charging two units against the 4 base unit at the same time. (Claiming that you are leaving room for subsequent turns is a no no!).

In diagram 3 it looks like the centre front of the charging unit cannot reach the corner of the unit - therefore it is not a valid charge and cannot be declared. Hope that helps.

Bob

Roland 92

Postby Roland 92 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm

HI Bob

Thank you for explainations

Best regards

Roland

Return to “General Discussion”