Wedge

A general discussion forum
Andy Kershaw

Wedge

Postby Andy Kershaw » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 am

I'm really confused on how wedge requirements and how they work.
The Errata says to change the last line of teh first para so that the minimum bases is four, but then says in the second para that the minimum is three.
If I have a six base wedge, do I line it up six bases deep and one wide (Are the diagrams, now deleted showing two wedges) or do I form a WAB type wedge?
How many bases fight?
I'm fighting Andy Pickering this weekend and Andy Cummings at the start of Feb, so I need all teh help I can get!
Thanks

MartinG

Re: Wedge

Postby MartinG » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am

The revised wedge forms up like any normal cavalry unit, the only thing signifying a wedge is the single figure in the front row of bases (if you choose to do that). Minimum bases 3.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 pm

So if infantry are fighting back, do they count as fighting a 3 base wide cavalry unit?

Will the wedge fight with 3D6, and open order foot would return fight with 8D6 presuming no casualties, generals, or overlapping bases.
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Andy Kershaw

Postby Andy Kershaw » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm

Thanks for the guidance Martin.
Pickering has just battered me šŸ˜‚

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:36 am

So if infantry are fighting back, do they count as fighting a 3 base wide cavalry unit?

Will the wedge fight with 3D6, and open order foot would return fight with 8D6 presuming no casualties, generals, or overlapping bases.
I don't know if I'm missing something (is it in errata or another post), but I'd still like an answer, as I just don't know how fighting back at a wedge works.
Cheers
Andy

"Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend" -Napoleon Bonaparte

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 am

Treat it as a cavalry unit. The infantry do not care what formation the cavalry are in.

Andyjp

Postby Andyjp » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:03 pm

The question is how many bases fight back if you are not in a wedge! That aspect of the wedge rules seems to of been forgotten about.

Fighting back with just the one base in contact with the single figure? (this would be just two dice for infantry and one dice for cavalry) this would be a very one-sided.

For example
If the wedge is considered to be 3 bases wide then it would have the frontage of 150mm, if it contacted an infantry unit dead centre then it wound contact the equivalent of 4 infantry bases, frontage of 160mm (with a 5mm gap to either side), so infantry would return the fight with 8D6 presuming no casualties, generals, or overlapping bases.

It's important as this will affect how many dice the infantry (or others) will roll, hence my question asking do they treat it as a three wide?

And let's not get into being charged and contacting at the end of a unit, Cavalry or Chariots fighting back and all the other situations not covered (where is line of battle measured from, what about Nervousness), just yet, but they will have to be at some point.

I like the idea of having wedges back in the game, I just need more information on how they work to be able to play the game with them in it.
I'm happy to help/come up with some suggestions if you'd like.
Cheers
Andy

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:51 pm

I don't think you have seen the amendments in the errata? A unit in wedge now forms up just like any other cavalry unit so will be three bases wide.....

Return to ā€œGeneral Discussionā€