Atheling's Goths!

Please post images of your games and models here
Atheling

Atheling's Goths!

Postby Atheling » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:10 pm

It seems like I have been working on this unit of Footsore miniatures Goths a while. It certainly took more time than the more uniform but more highly detailed Aventine Early Byzantines. Not that I'm knocking Bill's sculpts; far from it, they are excellent and I am very pleased with how they have come out. I do miss Bill's work!

The back ranks are finally complete so it was time to take some snaps of the unit as a whole. But first the back ranks. I dispensed with the idea of using LBMS transfers on the back ranks of the unit as they would have been made up of Freemen who by enlarge would not have had the wealth to lavish designs on their shields let alone afford armour. Of course, this is a generalisation but one that seems fitting for the unit. as it will help distinguish the professional warriors from the "volunteers" and will minimise any confusion with my opponent on the table top. I have toned down the colours on the tunics and trousers too to give them a poorer overall look.

A word on the choice of miniatures. The Goth army I am building is primarily based of the army of the Ostrogoths who faced Narses at the Battle of Taginae 552 CE which would have generally looked more Romanised in appearance than that of the Footsore Goths. The problem I had, certainly when I purchased many of the miniatures, was that no one does 28mm Goths for that time period. There are some in the pipeline, but until then, I will be continuing to use the Footsore Miniatures as they are the nearest thing available for my purposes.

A Few Snaps of the Back Ranks:

Return to “Gallery”