Dacians

lero

Dacians

Postby lero » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 am

Hello,
Just finished to read a PhD History work on Roman-Dacian Warfare. Inspiring.
I think Dacians could be more differentiated from others barbarians with these suggested options :
1) Special leader, 0-1 Decebalus with Stratagem rules.
2) Non Falx warriors could have the option to get Evade rules as for Spanish units.
3) Allies could be up to 50% to depict the great counter offensive in moesia in 101 CE (With Dacians, Bastarnae and Roxolans (Sarmatians)).
Dacians were great opponents to Romans, for those who could doubt about it : Caesar prepared conquest of Gauls with 4 Legions and fought at Alesia with 6 of them. Trajan had 10 Legions to invade Dacia !
The great difficulties of Trajan were about Dacians warfare full of ambushes and surprise attacks (so stratagem and evade rules).
Hope this would help for a more historical list.
Lero
Last edited by lero on Mon May 18, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Beer

Re: Dacians

Postby Andrew Beer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:20 am

An option here would be to add the ambush rule +2 points?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:03 pm

I am adding these options to the errata.
"No one ever achieved anything without making a few mistakes along the way"

Andrew Beer

Postby Andrew Beer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Thank you .

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 am

I have a question about Evade and Warband. This is in a situation where a Warband, because it is impetuous, in the initial phase either chooses to charge or fails its cohesion test and has to charge. If the opponent wins the initiative and decides to charge first, can the Warband still evade as its charge response?

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am

Yes it can still evade. The initial phase decision simply compels the unit to declare a charge, if it is able to do so. Should the other player have the initiative, it can be denied the opportunity to declare (by being the subject of a charge) but this does not impact its charge responses.

Davidh

Postby Davidh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 am

Thank you Martin

lero

Postby lero » Wed May 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Hello Martin,
All ideas were taken, great ! Now Dacians are very specific and quite historical.
One last thing, and I think of all painters (that I am not) : warlord, victrix show dacians with armor.
I checked and found that these armors are very rare for dacians, so you were right not to give them light armor.
But maybe you could think about a 0-1 "Noble" unit that can afford it, with shield and spear and option to upgrade to falx or throwing spear.
After all, nobles are wealthier than other warriors and give to their life protection more expense than commoners.
Last idea : falxmen are very often depicted without shield, so an option to remove shield (-1) could be added.
Keep safe,
Lero

MartinG

Postby MartinG » Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 am

Hi Lero,

I have added the option for falxmen to discard their shields to the errata. I'm afraid I don't think there was sufficient armour to allow for an entire unit (c.500 men) to have it.

lero

Postby lero » Thu May 14, 2020 9:45 am

Hello Martin,
Sorry I forgot errata, so OK !
For "Nobles", I thought of a 4 bases top limit, because you are right, they were not numerous as others, maybe then a "veteran" unit ?
This time, this is not for me but for those who find these armored Dacians in their boxes.
Anyway, this could be used for command bases with several figs.
Thanks for all !
Lero

Return to “Army Lists”